We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Thursday 20 June 2013

Summertime ..... and the colour is easy .....

Time to put all those drab colours away!  Recently spent a fab day with a friend doing all manner of colourful stuff - and - I think I've found a solution to my canvas problem - a wood version of a box canvas.

Here it is in the raw, both sides, and the reverse would make a great niche project.




I gave it a coat of gesso, but next time I think I would put 2 coats of gesso on.  The only real difference painting with acrylic on wood is that it dries very fast, so maybe a further coat of gesso would help, or I could use an extender for the paint.


Did a little preparation by sticking some pre-printed tissue paper (Tim Holtz and 7 Gypsies) onto card, painting with mainly translucent paint (Fresco), then stamping with paint, and putting paint through a stencil too.  This is all quite random, as it will be cut up and stuck to the canvas.





The canvas background consists of molding paste through a stencil (for that rainy summer day!), paint through a leaf stencil (the purple) and that light blue leaf pattern is created by taking a blown wallpaper sample (the plasticized kind), applying paint, and using it like a stamp.







Decided to hand cut the larger petals and flower centre.  The centre was covered in glass micro beads to give an interesting texture. The stalk is molding paste mixed with some paint; the original colour I mixed  made the paste look like guacamole, which I didn't like, so I overpainted it.


A few little finishing touches, and here is my Summertime .....


Happy sunny days!

2 comments:

  1. Love the colours - much better than pink !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wood "canvas" has a totally different look to normal canvas. Love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete