We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Thursday 15 August 2013

Another dash of bitumen .....

Recently introduced another friend to the bitumen thing, and we did mirrors.  My friend is a great fan (get it!) of anything oriental, so a paper and bamboo fan was deconstructed, and some of the piece used, together with a few coins.


Here it is before any paint was applied.  The fan sides look a little like chopsticks, and the mirror area is framed by 4 of the pieces that held the paper fan together.  I like this idea of framing the mirror area.

After a few coats of paint, using black, with some red/brown and gold, to imitate an antiqued oriental finish ....


.....Koko ni aru
(I hope that means here it is, in Japanese!)


For my mirror, I decided to continue with my love of all things steampunk, but this time I did an all over blue wash, and then highlighted in copper with a hint of pale gold.

I also used more metal bits and pieces, plus a tiny face (can you find it!).


I'm probably all bitumened out now!

3 comments:

  1. Like both of these. The blue works well doesn't it. Think I have found the face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little face - Found it. Loving the blue wash... Other deep colours come to mind to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just found this post! .. My friend Karen did a workshop in Swanley kent and we did this technique.. I've made one with the bitumen and another with Inka gold paints... !!! Fabulous work here from you .. xxx

    ReplyDelete