We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Friday 27 September 2013

Alice in a pea green boat

When I was doing my Little Bit of Gothic canvas, it brought to mind the novel Gormenghast, which is why I included an extract from it in the post (15 September).   This further reminded me that way back in the mists of time, when I first wanted to have a go at a canvas, I had great difficulty in starting it.  It is said there is nothing scarier than a blank canvas.  So, I took inspiration from literature and poetry.

Just taking a snippet from The Owl and the Pussycat got me going.  Looking at these first two canvases now, they are a bit clumsy, but, for posterity's sake, here they are, together with the quotes that inspired them.

The Owl and the Pussycat
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon.

Alice Through the Looking Glass
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast.
(The White Queen)

I included the words on the canvas, and even back then was using found items, like broken jewellery and watch parts.  The clay faces were made in moulds.

So, if you get stuck for inspiration, look at the written word, be it in literature, poetry, or song lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment