We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Wednesday 31 December 2014

Another diversion, another poem, another year .....

I've recently acquired some new Pebeo materials, so thought I would do an abstract canvas, trying it all out!  I've already used the combination of glass paints with ceramic paints on some butterflies (see here ).

I did start this before Christmas, but then the cold struck, with the least of it manifesting in a 3 day headache!

My cold is now manageable (funny how I've taken ownership of "my" cold, but it has been with me for over a week now!), so I've finished this little canvas.

I used an 8 x 8 box canvas and painted a background of blues in acrylic paint first, then coloured a little modelling paste and scraped that on.

Once the paste had dried it was time for the new stuff - Pebeo Glazing Resin. This is a 2 part mixture, which I slowly poured onto the canvas in a slightly random manner.

It has dried here, so you can see how it holds it shape, and remains 3D.





Next, I covered most of the canvas with glass paints, and dropped in some Prisme Fantasy paints.

Everything is still very wet in this picture, and the paint is still moving around.

I wiped the glass paint off some of the resin, so that the acrylic colour underneath would show through.





When everything was dry, I finished with some Pebeo Relief Gilding Paste, which comes in a tube with a nozzle, so you can be quite specific where it is placed and it also remains 3D if you wish it to. When the paste goes clear, it remains tacky, and I then applied some gold mirror effect leaf.

In this close-up you can see the gold leaf, and the Prisme paint.

Finally, I applied some black Relief Liner.







Very difficult to capture how the light bounces off the resin and the gold leaf, so you will just need a little imagination for that.

Now I know how all this new stuff reacts, I can do another canvas with perhaps a little more control!

The last few early mornings have had stunningly beautiful hoar frosts - even in suburbia!  Just looking at the patterns created on cars is mind-blowing.  So, I have been inspired to write another Haiku poem, to celebrate the new year.

Frost white December
Come January clothed anew
Constancy endures.

Hope 2015 is good for you.

2 comments:

  1. I love all the different effects. Lovely blue !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Love your step by step photos too. My husband (or should that be Santa!) gave me a set containing some of these items - I haven't yet tried them, but this post is great inspiration for when I do x

    ReplyDelete