We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Baroque shiny-ness

The latest Paper Artsy challenge is to create something using shiny stuff, which reminded me of some small faux baguette-cut gems I had been given.

I think these were used in making costume jewellery.

I also had a blank MDF box sitting forlornly on a shelf pleading for attention!










So, I decided to create the most exotic baroque bird .....

The box itself was painted with a light coloured acrylic paint, and edged with gold.  I wanted to do a controlled spatter, so used the gold paint through a stencil.

The birdy is die-cut from thick mount board, and his tail are pieces from die-cut swirls.  First painted black, I then added some gold foiling with a glue-stick.  The main body of the bird was then covered in crackle medium which added some texture, but is also shiny!

In my box of found and collected items I found a button for the eye, and a clear acrylic shape for the wing, to which I added pearls.  The baguette-cut gems were added to the tail, embedded in glossy accents.  Two pen nibs were perfect for the legs!

So, here he is -



Be outrageous - and strut your stuff!

6 comments:

  1. He's absolutely gorgeous, glamorous and cute at the same time x

    ReplyDelete
  2. really cute idea - very inventive xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little birdy has definitely got his strut on - lol. Love his swirly tail, great idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever! I really love the crackling with the foil, also - will have to remember that!! Thank so much for visiting my blog and your nice comments, The author of the poem is Stanley Kunitz. Look forward to seeing more of your work! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's wonderful! And perfectly shiny!!

    ReplyDelete