We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Monday 2 March 2015

Small is beautiful!

I'm currently working on project demos for the Ashtead Club, one of which is to create a mini canvas. I have to bear in mind that our evening sessions are only a couple of hours, and I also wanted to try and keep away from brushes, and show that you don't have to be an artist to create a fun little canvas.

And it is also perfect for the current Paper Artsy challenge which is miniature art!


In the end I did use a tiny brush (briefly!), but I mainly used a credit card, plastic palette knife (or coffee stirrer), and the eraser end of a pencil.







Using Fresco paints, I first did the background, using three colours, and made some marks for the basic layout.











I then used the pencil eraser and credit card to create some stalks and flowers, doing alternate layers of stalks then flowers, more stalks, more flowers, and so on, using a heat gun to speed up drying time between layers.

The tiny brush made all the small dots, and the Van Gogh sky created with more paint, a baby wipe and my finger.  Lastly, added a little glitter glue.


This little canvas came with its own cute easel, and the set was really cheap at £1.50.

So no excuse - happy painting!

4 comments:

  1. OMG that is brilliant. I really like how you stayed away from 'proper' tools!!! PERFECT! How brilliant is that eraser to make all your colourful wildflowers. well done on such a great mini project. ~Leandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the eraser flowers and colors. The sky is cheerful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. an ingenious choice of "tools" - the final piece is just lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow wow wow such an gorgeous stunning mini canvas and wow I love how you used different tools, totally awesome. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete