We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Adventures in collage - part 3

I'm in the middle of my art course, and have just finished the third exercise, which was to take a naturalistic subject (i.e. from real life), and combine watercolour with collage.

I chose this as my reference, which I found on Pinterest.  It is a small run-down cabin in Skinnalon, Iceland.





















I wanted to use a piece of half imperial sized watercolour paper, which is 22 inches x 15 inches. I ended up with a piece slightly smaller as my first attempt at stretching it failed, so I had to slightly cut it down.

Anyway, I started with the collage element, doing my usual random thing, using some Brusho'd handmade paper, book pages, sheet music, rice paper, map pages, and some brown paper.

Everything was stuck down with matt medium.






Next, I covered the whole piece with crumpled tissue paper, again using matt medium, to knock it back and to unify everything.











Now, the major part of the challenge ... to use the drawing skills from my summer drawing course, and use watercolour paint! I used both watercolour paint and watercolour pencils.

It has taken a couple of weeks, and I've learned a lot, including not to be quite so random with the collage element. Also, it is quite difficult painting on top of crumpled tissue!

I'm reasonably happy with the finished piece -


I'll be starting my next collage tomorrow, not completely sure what I'll be doing as the rest of the course is freestyle, but I have learned I need some kind of plan if I'm going to combine painting with collage!

Don't limit your challenges - challenge your limits!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful results, fantastic collage, sketching and watercolour artwork! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Kay. It looks quite peaceful and I love the sky.

    ReplyDelete