We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Saturday 26 March 2016

Emily's naked tree ...

Since my beginners watercolour course finished I have been challenging myself  on various aspects I learned over the past few months.

Having used acrylic paint for many years, I have struggled with not overworking watercolour and creating a utter mess. I have discovered that if I make a mistake to just leave it - trying to rectify it only makes it much much worse!

So, this challenge was all about speed, and not pushing the paint around too much. It didn't matter how it turned out, because it could always go in the bin!

This is A3 size, so not so daunting as the larger half imperial size we used in class.



I'm reasonably satisfied with the result, and I did feel a sense of freedom with the washes, probably because the pressure was off!

Happy Easter to everyone. Storm Katie (no relation!) is on the way for Easter Monday, so I think I'll be holed up in my craft room.

Not at home to callers
Says the naked tree -
Bonnet due in April -
Wishing you good day.
Emily Dickinson

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful painting. The bare tree in the foreground is set off so well with the impressions of the wood behind it. This is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to get here sooner, but real life and a slow computer got in the way.

    I think this painting is incredible. I can relate to being under pressure and having to "perform." I freeze up and my brain turns to mush. Now that you are doing this for YOU, I look forward to many more of these beauties.

    ReplyDelete