We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Tuesday 10 May 2016

Don't look down!

I've now finished my Line and Wash course, which I have really enjoyed, and learnt quite a bit along the way too! Although my watercolour washes are still proving challenging, but I think I'm getting a little better.

Our final project could be any subject and I found a fabulous photo of a pine tree tettering on the edge of a rocky outcrop.

I used acrylic inks with dip pens and twigs, and did most of the tree and rocks first.

Doing the tree first meant I had invested a lot of time and effort, and now ... deep breath ... the watercolour washes. I made up several washes and did some graduated layers.

Right - breath again!




I think it looks a bit oriental ...

... which leads quite neatly to my tree peony (I think they originate in China).

It is in full bloom - I love its big, bold, in-your-face, look-at-me flowers.

Maybe I'll paint it some time!




3 comments:

  1. Not sure how I missed this post before, but that tree is incredible. I agree it looks oriental to me. Possibly because it reminds me of a bonsai shaped tree. Regardless, it is simply STUNNING. So are those tree peonies. Hope your weekend goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also missed this post, your painting is gorgeous, it does look oriental. You are very talented. The peony is also very beautiful and would make a stunning painting :) take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my peony looked like yours - mine has no flowers yet !!! Tree is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete