We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Monday 11 July 2016

If you go down to the woods today ...

... sometimes I surprise myself - and when I look at this piece, I think - did I do that?

Recently I attended an all day workshop to paint a bluebell wood in mixed media. This is a large painting on half-imperial (22 inches x 15 inches), and we had to pre-draw the main tree outlines before the workshop to save time.

The painting was built up in layers; with a watercolour base, and the detail added using coloured pencils (I use Derwent Coloursoft), and wax crayons (I use Neocolor II).

I find all day workshops are quite demanding, when I have to be focused for so many hours, (my back and neck don't like it either!). I didn't finish completely on the day, and it took me a couple more hours to finish at home.


I have rather taken to using the pencils and crayons with watercolour - maybe I've found the mixed media selection to focus on? Time will tell!

Emily Bronte wrote a poem entitled "The Bluebell", here is the first verse -

The Bluebell is the sweetest flower
That waves in summer air:
Its blossoms have the mightiest power
To soothe my spirit's care.

2 comments:

  1. I stopped by last night to leave a comment on your incredible painting, then my computer froze and I had to reboot. I'm finally back to tell you how much I like this painting. Layers and layers later, this is a very rich and beautiful painting. I think you may have found your media that suits you.

    I read I had won the CB challenge from you. I would not have known otherwise. I somehow doubt I'll use it, since 10 lbs will just about pay postage to the states. Seems like a rather puny prize, since I have to pay for postage, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your art is so beautiful ! Mixed Media I suppose using three mediums. I love using pencils as well. I would say that was a very successful workshop. I know what you mean about being focused for a long period and also about the neck and shoulders, I have issues as well. Take care, Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete