We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Thursday 18 August 2016

Sublime blue ...

The other fortnightly Craft Barn challenge this time is using blue. Well, as that is my most favourite colour, I had to join in on this one!

I used an embossing folder on a piece of white card (I've got a very old Cuttlebug which has seen a lot of use over many years and is still going strong!). Then I lightly hit the high points with a Versamark pad, followed by gold embossing powder. It doesn't matter if there are some stray areas of embossing powder, that just adds to the random-ness!

Sprinkle some Brushos (blues of course) and spritz with water. Use a small paint brush to push the paint into the embossed image.

A pretty die-cut butterfly finishes it off.


I went to Tate Britain yesterday to see the Painting with Light exhibition, which explores art and photography from the Pre-Raphaelites to the modern age.

Fascinating exhibition; I hadn't really thought about what effect the invention of photography had on art.

I've always loved the Pre-Raphaelites, particularly Dante Gabriel Rossetti, and there were quite a few of his paintings included.

So, continuing with the blue theme, this painting was in the exhibition - Mariana (1870).

The digital reproduction doesn't show the vibrancy of that dress!


Also at Tate Britain at the moment there is a free Turner exhibition, also very enjoyable.

The Painting with Light exhibition is on until the 25 September.

That's my culture fix for this month!

4 comments:

  1. WOW. What a lovely Craft Barn entry. I've never had the Brushos, but I understand they are highly pigmented. The embossing is spectacular, and I would love to have some of those embossing folders. Your entry is incredible.

    OMGosh, both a Turner exhibition and a Painting with Light. Granted, it took nearly 100 years, but photos finally came into their own once color photography was invented. Even the black and white was special back in the late 1860s. This must have been a great exhibition of art and photos. I was impressed with your art and culture fix you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your question/comment about the paint. As I understand it, wet exposed fabric dries in the heat, then sucks the paint and moisture from underneath the covered areas. Not sure that helps, but all I know is, it worked pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card. I love beautiful embossed background, perfect for the delicate white butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try this technique with embossing and brushos! A lovely vision in blue.

    ReplyDelete