We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Saturday 17 September 2016

The butterfly effect ...

The last time the Fearless Four got together I forgot my camera, so didn't record our efforts; this time I remembered my camera, but we were only three, as one of us was unwell; so this is about the temporary three!

We started with quite a large MDF butterfly shape, which we  covered with a multitude of smaller butterflies, mostly die-cut and embossed ones.

There are quite a few collective nouns for butterflies - swarm, flight, rabble, flutter, kaleidoscope, wing, rainbow, flock - take your pick!

The whole piece was painted with black gesso, then - time for lunch!

Next we used different metallic/iridescent paints and mediums, blending and highlighting the shapes and patterns.  At home I added some little pearly things and made some wire antennae.


And the other offerings ...

Here is Lin's frenzy of butterflies

(a collective noun I just made up!)















and this is Linda's creation, which also includes some wooden butterflies.















Great fun to do and something a bit different to hang on the wall. Always good to craft with friends! Next time I hope we are back to full strength.

A power of Butterfly must be -
The Aptitude to fly
Meadows of Majesty concedes
And easy Sweeps of Sky -

Emily Dickinson

2 comments:

  1. I really like yours best because of the way you placed the other butterflies AND the antennae. They are all lovely, but yours is fantastic! What fun it is to craft with friends. I'd love to do that, too, but my art friends just want to shop when we get together.

    ReplyDelete