We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Thursday 25 May 2017

City lights

I wanted to have a play with Powertex, and see how it worked with stuff I've already got. It was first formulated as a fabric hardener, but you can use it on so many other things.

I've used corrugated cardboard, cotton threads and microbeads for the textures, and Dylusion sprays, and gilding waxes for the colour.

I first spread ivory coloured Powertex over the box canvas, then placed all the elements, using more Powertex as they were added.

I left it overnight before applying any colour.

When dry, everything is quite solid and secure. Powertex do their own sprays, pigments and varnish, but you only need to use them if the item needs to be weatherproof. I'm not likely to put a canvas outside, so I wanted to try the sprays I already had. Decided to use the Dylusion ones, as the colours are so strong and vibrant. I then used some gilding waxes for the highlights, and sprinkled some mica flakes too.






2 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike today. I stand with Manchester, too. In fact, when I saw the icon on my sidebar, I thought it was Manchester you were drawing.

    I keep hearing about this Powertex, but have never seen it here in the states. I can see you used it for other purposes, though. I adore the fact you used what you had on hand and worked the Powertex in ways other than what it was originally intended. That is MY kind of art. You should send this photo to the Powertex people so they know what you have done with their product.

    ReplyDelete